Binance is great, but it might not be available in your country, or maybe you just simply want to diversify. You can’t invest all your hard-earned money into one exchange – don’t you want a mix of them? So do our experts! That’s why we scoured the market for well-known and trusted Binance alternatives.
One of the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges, Binance lets investors buy, sell, and store multiple cryptocurrencies and other digital assets. However, the platform is not for everyone. The platform is not available in all markets, and it does not offer every coin or asset. It can also take weeks or months to have your account approved. As such, many investors are looking for alternatives.
Fortunately, there are several great alternatives out there and by reading further, you will learn about the top 12 Binance alternatives for 2022. You will also learn the pros and cons of each service to help you choose the right platform for your portfolio.
Binance is the king of crypto exchanges and there’s no arguing with that.
Binance entered the crypto market in 2017 and has since become the top cryptocurrency exchange by volume and market exposure. Founded in China, the exchange quickly moved its headquarters to Malta with satellite offices in the United States and throughout Europe.
As a centralized exchange, Binance lets investors buy and transfer their crypto coins and assets into other cryptocurrencies.
Some of its notable features include:
- Both fiat and crypto exchange services including altcoins and other high-risk coins
- Common interface for electronic wallets for multiple crypto coins and assets
- Advanced trading opportunities such as spot and margin, futures, leveraged tokens, and token swapping
- Low fees and commissions
- Large volume trading for larger returns
- Visa-powered crypto-backed debit cards
These generous features attracted a large user base that is now reliant on the platform for their investments. Binance even offers native cryptocurrencies such as the BNB and BSUD token with plans to expand into NFTs as well.
Disadvantages of Using Binance
For most people, Binance is a decent cryptocurrency exchange. It offers enough coins and features most traders need to travel the cryptocurrency landscape. However, it is not perfect and some of its downsides can harm your finances or worse.
The platform’s main flaws are its restrictions in 29 countries, including the United States. These restrictions limit the number of features, crypto coins, and trading options available to you. Binance may not be fully compliant with all local laws and regulations in these nations as well.
Other notable problems include:
- A complicated and complex platform
- Services restricted to market and limited order
- Vulnerable to hacking and other malicious activities
- Restricted CFD or leverage trading
- Limited depots and withdrawal options
This issue along with accusations of money laundering and other questionable actions led many investors to seek viable alternatives.
To help you get started we’ve handpicked these Binance alternatives based on several factors like fees, regulations, security, and reputation.
1. eToro Exchange
Established in 2018, eToro is one of the largest social trading platforms in the world. Over 4.5 million investors use the service to trade and manage their portfolios over 15 types of cryptocurrencies. It is also one of the safest crypto exchanges out there with all transactions monitored and regulated by FCA, CySEC, and ASIC.
eToro Platform Features
- User-friendly, ideal for beginner and experienced traders
- 15 supported cryptocurrencies and assets
- CySEC, FCA, and ASIC regulated with multiple payment methods
- Cryptocurrency educational materials available
- $200 minimum deposit
- 0.1% conversion fee
- Free trades and withdrawals
- Does not offer crypto-to-crypto pairs
Often considered the best cryptocurrency exchange for beginners, Coinbase makes it easy to buy and sell a wide range of crypto assets.
The platform even has an extremely intuitive mobile app for on-the-go trading. Designed for the U. S. market, you can use the platform anywhere except in Hawaii. The platform is also fully in compliance with all U. S. laws and regulations.
The Regular Coinbase Platform
The standard Coinbase platform offers one of the best user experiences in the crypto market. While not a full trading platform, it lets you swap and trade between crypto coins and assets with a simple user interface.
For spot trades and lower fees, you must check out the pro version of the platform. Coinbase Pro is a full cryptocurrency exchange with stop and limit orders, margin trading, and everything else in between. It also shares the same login as the standard version, letting you easily transfer your assets from one platform to the other. It even allows ACH transfers.
Coinbase Wallet and Card
Both versions of the Coinbase platform give you access to the Coinbase Wallet. The platform automatically deposits any cryptocurrencies you have into the wallet for added security and convenience.
The Coinbase Wallet lets you begin transactions by dropping wallets into the app. While this service works best when trading with other Coinbase users, the feature streamlines transactions by doing much of the work for you.
The wallet even lets you access your cryptocurrencies through a branded Coinbase debit card. However, you must use ACH to make withdrawals.
- Multiple payment methods Wire transfer, ACH, Debit card, PayPal
- 1.49% transaction fees (3.99% for credit/debit purchases), 0% on Pro
- 86 supported cryptocurrencies and assets
- Fully compliant with U. S. and European laws and regulation
- A VISA-backed debit card draws directly from your crypto wallet
- Cryptocurrency education materials will let you earn money as you learn
- User-friendly interface and mobile apps
As another U.S.-based cryptocurrency exchange, Kraken is fully compliant with all U. S. laws and regulations, making it one of the more secure and transparent platforms on the market.
The platform supports around 70 different coins and assets with one of the quickest verification processes available. It even has some of the lowest fees on the market as well. It also supports some fiat currencies.
However, Kraken has a steep learning curve, making it more suitable for advanced users instead of beginners. It also suffers from slow response times. Still, the platform does offer numerous trading options for those willing to make the effort.
- $5 transaction fee for wire transfers, Free for SWIFT deposits
- 0.16% maker fee and 0.28% taker fee for trades under $50.000
- 5x leveraged margin trading available, up to 50x on futures
- Fully compliant with U. S. and European laws and regulations
- 84 supported cryptocurrencies and assets
- Staking service available for passive income
- 30 Fiat to crypto trading pairs available
Based in the UK, CEX.io began as a Bitcoin exchange and cloud mining provider but has since dropped the mining operations. Today, it is a fully FINCEN cryptocurrency exchange that allows spot and margin trading as well.
The platform also has a competitive fee schedule with free deposits and withdrawals on most transactions. The platform is compliant with European laws and regulations.
- 2.99% service and $1.20 commission fees for credit card transactions
- Free SEPA, wire, and ACH transactions
- 0.16% maker and 0.25% taker trading fees
- Fully compliant with U. S. and European laws and regulations
- Quick response times, transactions are processed immediately
- Can handle large volume trading
- 81 supported cryptocurrencies and assets with 02 trading pairs
- User-friendly mobile app
- Staking service for passive income
Despite its young age, FTX positioned itself as one of the more secure cryptocurrency exchanges available. Taking a more conservative approach, the platform strives to remain compliant with the local regulation of its operating markets. However, FTX may not be fully operational in some markets because of its age.
Designed for professional traders, FTX boasts an impressive suite of crypto trading tools such as derivatives, volatile, and leveraged tokens. The platform’s spot market even offers hundreds of crypto-crypto and crypto-fiat trading pairs and gateways. You can even invest in the traditional stock market through the platform.
- 102 supported cryptocurrencies and assets
- Hundreds of trading pairs
- $10 minimum deposit for credit card transactions
- $20 minimum deposit for bank transfers
- 2% to 6% withdrawal fee
- Native FTT cryptocurrency comes with extra perks and discounts up to 60%
- Traditional stock market trading is available
- Leveraged token, staking, predictions market, and futures crypto-bound trading options
Based out of New York, Gemini is another beginner-friendly cryptocurrency exchange with passive earning options. Though, the exchange also provides numerous trading options for the more seasoned investor. They even have their credit card that lets you earn crypto as a cashback reward.
The platform allows for fiat to crypto purchases as well as crypto-to-crypto trading opportunities with excellent APY rates on select coins. Gemini even provides a calculator you can use to evaluate potential trades. However, the platform does not support many cryptocurrencies at the moment.
Because the service is fully compliant with all financial laws and regulations, you must provide some identification before you begin trading on the Gemini exchange.
The main downside of using Gemini is the fees. The platform charges deposit fees for fiat currencies, but withdrawal fees on crypto. This fee structure can alter the value of your transaction if you are not prepared for it. Fortunately, these fees are on the low side.
- Staking options for passive income
- 7.4% APY on select coins such as Dogecoin, DAI, and the Gemini Dollar
- Fully compliant with U. S. laws and regulations, photo identification required
- 40 supported cryptocurrencies and assets with 39 trading pairs
- Deposit fees for fiat transactions
- Withdrawal fees for cryptocurrency transactions
- Streamlined, customizable, beginner-friendly interface
- Beginner and advanced active trading options
- Cryptocurrency educational materials available
- User-friendly mobile app and wallet
Based in Singapore, KuCoin offers a similar selection of cryptocurrency assets as Binance. The platform is available globally, including in the United States, but it may not be fully compliant with your local laws and regulations. For instance, there is no Know Your Customer or identity verification process. As such, you are taking a security risk if you go with KuCoin.
Despite this, KuCoin is secure enough that 25 percent of crypto traders use the platform daily. Your location may limit your trading options, the platform does let you trade smart contracts through its native KuCoin Share (KCS) coins and the KuCoin Community Chain or KCC.
Beyond KCS and KCC, KuCoin offers all the standard features you might expect from a cryptocurrency exchange. Its main difference is the low trading fees, which get as low as 0.1% for both maker and taker. There is also a wide range of rare cryptocurrencies, as the marketplace is known for quickly adding new altcoins.
Cryptocurrency lending is another major KuCoin feature. This feature lets you lend cryptocurrencies and assets to others through margin funding. These loans can earn up to 12% in annual returns.
- A good place to buy and trade new and upcoming cryptocurrencies
- Low 0.1% maker and taker trading fees with a 20% discount for KCS users
- User-friendly interface
- Soft staking services available for some cryptocurrencies
- Cryptocurrency lending options are available
- 410 supported cryptocurrencies and assets including new and upcoming coins
- Multiple memberships or “VIP” levels with different discounts, trading options, and fees
- Not fully compliant with all laws and regulations
- Service restrictions in some locations
- 10x leveraged and futures trading options
What to Look for in a Cryptocurrency Exchange
While you may want to jump to a new cryptocurrency exchange as quickly as possible, that is usually unwise. You can try it, but you may end up in a worse situation. Instead, you should take the time to evaluate each exchange to find the most trustworthy one that best fits your financial needs.
For most people, the best fit will be a well-audited, U.S.-based exchange with years of experience such as Gemini, Coinbase, or Robinhood. These publicly traded exchanges often implement extra security measures for the benefit of their shareholders.
Beyond security, you want a cryptocurrency platform that provides the services and investment opportunism you need. As a result, you may want to periodize your search to exchanges with the best:
- Crypto offerings
- Promotions and prices
- Mobile app
- Customer service
- User experience
You also want to be wary of any downside. All platforms have a disadvantage or two. However, if you can live with the risks associated with your platform of choice, you should be good to go. If your exchange does not meet these standards, you should look elsewhere.
Conclusion: Binance Alternatives
Binance is a major player in the cryptocurrency scene, but its restrictions, security issues, and other problems make it undesirable for some investors. Fortunately, there are several fine Binance alternatives that offer the same or better features than Binance that you can use right now. Some of them will even help you get the most of your investments as well.
Finding the right cryptocurrency exchange can be a bit daunting at first. There are so many to choose from, and you certainly don’t want to rush into it without giving it some serious thought.
And while some people will argue that Binance is the “right” choice, that’s simply not the case in every instance. You’ll want to go through our list of alternatives above and make your own informed decision.
We believe that any of these exchanges stands a solid chance of meeting your needs. So the only real question here is which one will end up being the right fit for you?
If you have questions about other exchanges not listed here, feel free to ask them to us. We’ll answer what we can when we can. And finally, if you read this far, congrats! You deserve a treat :).